Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Cartagena, Colombia

"La vida no es la que uno vivió, sino la que uno recuerda, y cómo la recuerda para contarla."
(Life is not what one lived, but what One remembers and how One remembers it in order to recount it)
Gabriel García Márquez

I had a blast in Cartagena, Colombia. At times it reminded me of Puerto Rico, except that Puerto Rico has more tropical colors, hills that reminded me of San Francisco and more salsa music vice the cumbia music in Colombia.
     I got to practice my Spanish with my taxi driver, which lately, the only person I had spoken to was my mother.  I make sure to speak to my mother at least once a week in Spanish, who is from Mexico, to keep up with my fluency. It's a great feeling to go to any Latin country and feel a connection with the people. I was born and raised in the US, and even though I enjoy being American, I also enjoy my connection with my Latin American roots.
       The taxi driver that I hired for the day took me to every place that I had wished for. He told me some stories about Colombia, some great tips, and he took me to an up and running mariscos(seafood) place where he knew the owner and I didn't have to wait in line.
  So what happens if you don't know Spanish, pick up a couple of phrases or show that you made an attempt. During my visit, the Colombian people as a whole, were warm an welcoming.







St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral.







Right around St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral, there is a center of plazas for plenty of local shopping.














Convecto La Popa de Galera on the bottom pictures, has some of the best views.











San Felipe de Barajas Castle and the bovedas.










Outside the walls of Cartagena



My Colombia trip was part of a 10 day cruise that included Panama, Aruba, Costa Rica and Jamaica. We also spent a day going through the Panama Canal which was on my bucket list. There was so much I wanted to do on this cruise and I was able to complete it by resting on my non port visit days. 






No comments:

Post a Comment